Wednesday 18 November 2009

Spotify Playlist Duel - Take Two

Followers of my blog may remember the Spotify Playlist Duel I did with Sam in July this year. Well I've done another one, this time with Phil. He's in a band called This City Sleeps, who are good by the way - check them out, so I'm expecting a lot of guitar songs. As with the last duel, I've put a Spotify link with each song, so you can all listen for yourself.

Here goes...

A Day to Remember - The Downfall of Us All: Sounds like Fall Out Boy quite a lot, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. Quite a cool chorus, although I’m not a massive fan of the screaming stuff.


Alexisonfire - Young Cardinals: Actually not that bad. Sounds like something off Guitar Hero a bit. Don’t like the first guy’s voice (that’s if there are two people singing). I’ve never actually heard anything by Alexisonfire until now, but it’s pretty much what I expected them to sound like.

All Time Low - Weightless: Kind of generic, but not too bad.


Amber Pacific - Gone So Young: Lyrics are a bit cheesy, but the song is actually quite uplifting. Probably wouldn’t listen to it again though.


Anberlin - Retrace: Sounded like the song before I thought, but still alright. Once again, the lyrics were a bit corny.


Artist Vs Poet - Runaway: My favourite song so far. Nice guitar intro, and the singer has a good voice. Reminds me of the Rocket Summer kind of. Added it to one of my Spotify playlists.

Brand New - Seventy Times 7: The singer sounded like Lil’ Chris… and that isn’t a compliment. Musically it was alright, but wasn’t anything special as a whole package.


Brett Dennen - Ain’t No Reason: A chilled-out acoustic song was a welcome change. I like it, and I will definitely listen again. Might even try to learn it actually. His voice is a bit different, but I guess that makes it good.


Chris Brown - Kiss Kiss: Wasn’t expecting to see this on Phil’s playlist at all. I already like Chris Brown, even if he does beat up his girlfriends.


Enter Shikari - Solidarity: These are another band which I’ve heard of but not heard of, if that makes sense. Not really into screamo-type stuff to be honest; didn’t like this.


Fall Out Boy - Dead On Arrival: Another song that sounds like Fall Out Boy. Oh wait…! Only really heard their more recent, commercial stuff, but this is good.


Finch - Letters To You: Generic, far too repetitive and fairly forgettable. Definitely one of the weaker songs so far on the playlist.


Foo Fighters - No Way Back: I’ve no idea why I’ve never really liked Foo Fighters. I should like them; they're very good musicians, Sam and Phil love them, and I like Dave Grohl, but without offending too many people, I find Foo Fighters a bit boring. Sorry!


Forever The Sickest Kids - Whoa Oh! (Me vs Everyone): Awful band name, but not a bad tune. Very upbeat, and fairly catchy as well. Might listen again.


Four Year Strong - Heroes Get Remembered, Legends Never Die: The chorus is good. The rest is fairly forgettable.


Hey Monday - Run, Don’t Walk: Good intro, and the girl singer has a good voice. Pretty solid musically as well. Might listen to these a bit more.


Houston Calls - Bob and Bonnie: Upbeat and energetic, but once again it’s fairly forgettable and generic. Not the worst song I’ve heard though.


Jimmy Eat World - Always Be: Only heard one song by these before – ‘The Middle’ – which is decent. So it this though; it’s fairly easy on the ear, and quite catchy.


Journey - Don’t Stop Believin: I think Phil might’ve put this in as some kind of joke, but to be fair it’s actually not that bad. I do give it a hard time usually, but it’s a classic song, and I bet it’s made the members of Journey incredibly rich, so they won’t care what I think anyway. I’m just not the biggest fan when hearing it on a night out.


Kids In Glass Houses - Saturday: The singer does actually sound like Patrick Stump this time, and I’m not just saying that. However, it’s quite a decent tune. Pretty upbeat and catchy, and well written as well.


Limp Bizkit - Rollin’ (Air Raid Vehicle) : Only one thing to say about this song... TUNE!


Marmaduke Duke - Rubber Lover: I love this song, in fact I believe it was in my playlist to Sam. Just a really happy, pop song. Love it.


Mayday Parade - Jamie All Over: Definitely one of the better songs on the playlist. Reminds me of This City Sleeps, actually. Influenced by them perhaps??


New Found Glory - Listen To Your Friends: I know Phil raves about New Found Glory but they're a band I've never really listened to. I like this song though, it's now in one of my playlists, and I will be listening to them again.


Paramore - Where The Lines Overlap: Only heard 'Misery Business' by these, which is a great song, if slightly commercial and over-played. I know for a fact that Phil is obsessed with Hayley Williams. She's fit, I must admit, and she can sing; two plus points. This track is good, and pretty much what I expected of them. A good all-round performance.


Parkway Drive - Carrion: I reiterate my views; screaming does not do it for me, thanks.


Rob Costlow - Meant To Be: This guy was bigged up by Phil prior to the duel, and I must say, he didn't disappoint. As a player of the old 'ivories' myself, it's always nice, if not a bit depressing, to hear someone play so well. If you like Rob Costlow, check out Christopher O'Riley, he's another brilliant piano player.


Set Your Goals - Summer Jam: Good, upbeat track. Perhaps a little forgettable.


Silverstein - Apologize: I don't know which version I prefer; this or OneRepublic's. I'm siding towards this one, minus the ridiculous screaming in the middle.


Sparks The Rescue - Hello Mexico: Easily one of my favourite songs on the playlist. Just a simple, honest pop song (sorry for sounding 50 years old there, but I didn't know how else to describe it).


Story Of The Year - Until The Day I Die: Well written, but failed to really capture my attention. Might have to give them another chance though.


System Of A Down - Vicinity Of Obscenity: Not a fan.


Taking Back Sunday - Cute Without The E: A song title that stereotypically, would appeal to all the emos out there. Good song though; Gym Class Heroes like these, therefore so do I.


The Dangerous Summer - The Permanent Rain: A nice guitar intro, and a good build up leading into one of the playlist's best tracks. Never heard of these before either.


The Starting Line - The Best of Me: Good, upbeat track; the chorus stands out. The acoustic guitar is a nice addition too.


Thieves and Villains - Atlantic Lungs: Reeks of genericness, but it's bearable. Certainly not reinventing the wheel.


Third Eye Blind - Jumper: I'm sure I've heard this song before, although I can't remember where or when. I would usually insert some witticism about the reason I've heard it is due to the song's lack of individuality here, but it's quite a good song, so I won't.


Throwdown - Forever: Christ, no. Get it away from me. Possibly everything I hate, music-wise, in one song.


Underoath - Reinventing Your Exit: Another song ruined, in my opinion, by ridiculously sounding screaming in the background. Why do they do it? It sounds like they're in some form of terrible pain. Ironic really; because it's the listeners that actually are. Take away the screaming, and I might reconsider.


We The Kings - Stay Young: The final song in the playlist, and it's a bit average to be quite honest. The chorus is pretty decent though. Can imagine it'd be good to see played live.

So, that's it. My second Spotify Playlist Duel has come to an end. Another rewarding experience. Phil's review of my playlist can be found here.

No comments: